Spirit Jailbreak Tool for iPad, iPhone and iPod Touch Released
Posted on May 2, 2010 by eli courey
A jailbreak tool by the name of Spirit has been released for iPad, iPhone and iPod touch running the latest firmware.
Update: I’ve jailbroken my iPad and the process was very simple and took only a few seconds. Backgrounder works great. There isn’t a graphical app switcher available yet, but I’m sure something will be out soon. For those of you with the 3G iPad, I suggest installing My3G. What My3G does is trick your iPad or iPhone apps into thinking they are on Wi-Fi. This will let you stream video from apps like YouTube and Netflix at much higher quality. And it will let you run ABC Player, which is normally blocked when on 3G.
- Spirit is an untethered jailbreak for iPad, iPhone, and iPod touch on the latest firmwares.
- Spirit is not a carrier unlock.
- If you currently are using a tethered jailbreak, you have to restore to use Spirit. Do not upgrade if you use an unlock on an iPhone 3G or 3GS. (You can, however, restore to 3.1.2 if you have SHSH blobs for that version.)
- Any iPad, iPhone, or iPod touch on firmware 3.1.2, 3.1.3, or 3.2.
- An activated device: one not stuck on the Connect to iTunes or Emergency Call screen.
- Any version of iTunes 9 (including 9.1.1).
- Syncing with iTunes before trying this highly recommended.
Note: On iPad, all this is still sort of beta. Some packages in Cydia, not designed for iPad, might screw up your system and require you to restore. Be careful. (And no, Cydia’s appearance is not final.)