How to Jailbreak iOS 5.0.1 on iPhone 4S and iPad 2 (Step-by-Step Instructions)
Posted on January 22, 2012 by eli courey
This guide will help you jailbreak A5 devices like the iPhone 4S and iPad 2 running iOS 5.0.1 using Absinthe, a tool created by the Chronic Dev Team with the help of pod2g and others. If you have a non-A5 device like the iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPad 1, iPod touch 3G or 4G, head on over to our jailbreak guide for those devices.
What you need:
- Compatible iOS device (iPhone 4S or iPad 2)
- Device updated to latest firmware, iOS 5.0.1
- Absinthe for Mac or Windows
Make sure you backup your device using iTunes or iCloud before following this tutorial.
- Download Absinthe and extract the ZIP file.
- Double-click to open the Absinthe app.
- When the app loads, it will ask you to connect the device to your Mac.
- Once the device is connected, click “Jailbreak” and be patient while Absinthe performs its actions. The iOS device will say “Restoring in Progress.” Do not disconnect the device or quit Absinthe during the jailbreak process.
- Once the process is completed, you will see the newly installed Absinthe app on your Home screen. Open the app and you’ll be taken to the Greenpois0n website. Some code will run and reboot the device.
- Once the device has rebooted, the Absinthe app will be replaced with Cydia.
That’s it, you now have an untethered jailbreak on your A5 device. Let us know if you have any questions or comments. All thanks go to @pod2g and his team who worked hard to bring us this untethered jailbreak.